Can I apply for COS from F-2 to H-4 while F-2 is going to expire on Sep 30, 2018?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I apply for COS from F-2 to H-4 while F-2 is going to expire on Sep 30, 2018?

My husband’s H-1B got approved recently. His firm didn’t apply for my dependent visa along with his H-1B. So I would like to apply for COS to H-4 right now as I will be out of status on Oct 1, 2018. But my COS application from F-2 to F-1 is pending from 6 months. So, can I still apply for H-4 if my F-1 application is pending. Will it be considered as a separate application? If I don’t get H-4 approved by Sep 30, will I be out of status and should leave the country within

60 days or can I stay in the US until the H-4 is approved? I’m trying my best to get it done by COS and avoid consular processing. Can it be done or am I too late considering the delayed processing times?

Asked on June 25, 2018 under Immigration Law, Virginia


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can apply for H-4 even while your COS to F-1 is pending.  Simply use your receipt number for that COS to submit the COS to H-4 petition.  You will not need to leave the country once this COS is filed because it wil be pending.  It should be approved as a COS and not consular processing as long as you are in status at the time of filing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption