Can I appeal my divorce?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I appeal my divorce?

He has unrecorded money earned and is aquiring alot of realestate and vehicles in less than 2 years. He only shows that he makes 1935 a month.He agreed to pay the morgage of 577 instead of alimony. We were married for 42 years and I paid our home with a medical settlement all he had to pay was $22,000 and he just took equities for personal things on the mortgage. He has been putting up additions and garages since he left so I figure at 25 an hour 5 days a week for an average of 7 months he is making a nice chunk of money and I should get some alimony. I am supposed to make do with my small disability check of $858 a month. Do I have a leg to stand on if I appeal this?

Asked on August 28, 2019 under Family Law, Maine


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If he hid money or income while you were married and during the divorce, that would potentially be grounds for an appeal--based on the fraud he committed by hiding or understating his income at that time. However, if he was not hiding income during your marriage or at the time of your divorce but rather has started making more money since your divorce, there is nothing to do: the amount of alimony or other payments you receive is determined at the time of the divorce, and you are not entitled to more because your ex is doing better financially.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption