Can I appeal a plea deal 7 years later?

UPDATED: Oct 20, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 20, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I appeal a plea deal 7 years later?

Lately I have been seeing a lot of cases where one was charged with aggravated battery and the details of these cases were far more severe than mine. A lot of them were simply brutal beatings of involved weapons. In my case the victim was treated and released from the hospital the same day. The treatment was simply ibuprofen. No weapons were involved and I only hit him twice but was charged with aggravated battery with great bodily harm.

Asked on October 20, 2011 under Criminal Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You can appeal a plea bargain done seven (7) years prior, however the chances of a successful appeal may very well be time barred due to the passage of time for the basis of the appeal.

In any event, if you wish to appeal the prior plea that you did seven (7) years prior, you should retain a criminal defense attorney who practices in the area of criminal appeals. Appeals are a very technical area of the law and lay people from my experience have a hard time being successful with such a process.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption