Can I allow a house to foreclose if I have a hold harmless clause in my dissolution papers?

UPDATED: Aug 27, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 27, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I allow a house to foreclose if I have a hold harmless clause in my dissolution papers?

My ex and purchased a home about 12 years ago. Then 5 years ago, we dissolved our marriage. He did not want responsibility of the house Unfortunately the house was upside down due to the market. In our dissolution, he quit claimed the house over to me so that I could eventually get it to a point of selling it. My current husband and I stayed in the house and continued to update for approximtely 2 more years after divorce. Since that time the house has been up for sale (rented while on market). We have received no offers in 5 years. I can no longer afford upkeep of house. Can I let it foreclose?

Asked on August 27, 2012 under Family Law, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

One would need to read all the paperwork involved here but if your divorce has a hold harmless that relates to the house and the mortgage which I assume is still in his name then I would worry about just walking away.  Is it possible to do a short sale or a deed in lieu of foreclosure?  Just make sure that they waive the deficiency.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption