Can I adopt or become the legal guardian of my younger siblings?

UPDATED: Jul 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I adopt or become the legal guardian of my younger siblings?

And if so, is there any financial assistance available? Our father is in a drug rehabilitation center and their mother, who wasn’t in their lives until recently, is having trouble raise them, because now they are getting into trouble. My father used to get government assistance when he had my sisters.

Asked on July 7, 2012 under Family Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under current California law, a child can only have two parents.  So, you cannot adopt the children until one of their parents terminate/sever their parental rights.  So, unless your mom or dad have their parental rights taken away by the state or give that up voluntarily, you cannot adopt.

If one or both of them are willing to do that, then you can adopt your siblings.  The level of governmental assistance is dependent mostly on whether or not their rights are terminated by a court or if they give them up.

Best of luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption