Can I access my husband’s storage unit without his consent?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I access my husband’s storage unit without his consent?

My husband and I have two storage units that hold both of our things. One is in
his name, one is in mine. He will not let me have access to his unit and has put
a second lock on it. His is the only name on the unit, and he continues to fail
to show up when I have asked to get something out of it. Legally still married,
can I cut the second lock to access my things without legal consequences?

Asked on August 12, 2019 under Family Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, you cannot. Marriage does not alter the fact that he leased the storage unit in his name only and did not grant you access; therefore, if you cut the lock and enter it without his permission, you will have committed destruction of his property and also trespass. To get into it lawfully, you need to bring a legal action (lawsuit) and get a court order allowing access--this can be done has part of a divorce or separation proceeding.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption