Can husband move wife’s belongings out of house before she has other living arrangements made just because she wont comply with his demands?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can husband move wife’s belongings out of house before she has other living arrangements made just because she wont comply with his demands?

I am staying with friends while making arrangements to move out. I am staying
outside of the marital home for safety reasons, and to avoid escalating
arguments. He demands I make my phone GPS/location available at all times, spend
the weekend with him this weekend, or he will rent a storage building and move my
things out.

Asked on May 27, 2016 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Until there is a court order which prohibits either spouse from disposing of assets or property, then either party can move or dispose of those items. 
Since your husband is threatening to dispose of things, you need to file for divorce and ask the court to impose and order restraining him from disposing of any items of your or the marital estate. 
For your personal safety and peace of mind, you may not be eligible for a protective order at this time.  However, you may be eligible for a restraining order to keep him from being too creepy.
If you cannot afford representation at this time, reach out to the local district clerk, local bar association, and churches find out what non-profit organizations are available in your area to at least help you get the ball rolling.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption