Can his kids force me to move out or evict me ?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can his kids force me to move out or evict me ?

My partner boyfriend been together 9 yrs. We’ve live
together in his home for the last 7 yrs. He passed away last
month Oct 20,2019. He told he kids and me that I was to stay
living in house for 1 year after he passed and the money in
his personal bank account was to go to me to help me with
the bills and and stuff to make sure I would be ok til the
year was up . Then after the 1st year we was to sell the
house and whatever money was left after paying house off .
It was to be split 4 ways between his 3 kids and me. We each
get 25 after sale. Well it’s only been 2 weeks since he
passed and his children and trying to force me to move out
and now saying their gonna file a Eviction on me . And
withdrawn the money out of bank.

Asked on November 4, 2019 under Estate Planning, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If he had a properly signed and witnessed written will which expressed these wishes, then the will has to be followed and his family cannot do anything that violates the terms of the will--though if they try to, you would have to have the will probated to put into the courts and give it effect.
But only last wishes in a properly signed and witnessed written will are binding: last wishes expressed any other way have no legal effect and are not enforceable. Also, a girlfriend does not inherit unless there is a will leaving her something--but children will inherit when there is no will. So if your boyfriend did not put his wishes into a will, they are irrelevant: the house and the money and anything else your boyfriend had will go to his children, not you, and they can remove you from the property since you have no right to it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption