Can having a child with my girlfriend after divorce, reduce current child support to my ex?

UPDATED: Dec 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can having a child with my girlfriend after divorce, reduce current child support to my ex?

Can this lower his current child support?

Asked on December 6, 2011 under Family Law, Kansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It is *possible* that child support obligations can be reduced by having a child with another person after a divorce, *if* it can be shown that based on the person's income, obligations, and changed circumstances, he can no longer afford the full amount of child support specified. However, this is rare, since courts are very reluctant to reduce child support; requires a compelling showing of economic need; and would require that an application be made to the court. Therefore, this is a matter to discuss in detail with a family law attorney, since you would most likely need the assistance of such an attorney to be able to credibly seek a reduction in child support.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption