Can F1 student travel outside of USA while being filed for…

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can F1 student travel outside of USA while being filed for…

I legally entered the USA last summer on an F1 visa and am currently doing my
Masters. A few months after entering the country, my husband who is a green card
holder decided to submit the green card application I-130 on my behalf. I
checked the USCIS website and they have not reached my priority date as yet. Is
it possible for me to travel outside of the USA while my green card is being
processed if I get the back of my I20 signed by my school?

Asked on June 1, 2017 under Immigration Law, New York


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

There should not be any issues unless you plan to travel internationally on the F-1 since that only allows for nonimmigrant intent and the filing of the I-130 indicates immigrant intent.  Since your husband is a green card holder, it will be a while before you can adjust status on the basis of the I-130 since it is not an immediate relative petition so just be aware that traveling internationally may be problematic.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption