Can employer not pay vacation after 14 month employment

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can employer not pay vacation after 14 month employment

I been with this company for over a year in may 2017 I was diagnosed with severe Degenerative Disc Diseases of the LS spin. Had to stay home for three months, now I’m back to work and asking about my 1 week paid vacation they said its not a year yet but I was hired August 2016, so they saying the 3 months I stayed home because of my illness doesn’t count, they said I become new hire. Really can the employer do that?

Asked on October 18, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Nevada


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, they can: it's not calendar time that counts, but work time.  An employer is not required to credit you with time for benefits (including vacation) that you were on leave or otherwise not working. So if you were hired 14 months ago but spent 3 months out of work, you have worked 11 months, not a year or more.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption