Can employer garnish my wages for a shipping mistake I made?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can employer garnish my wages for a shipping mistake I made?

I wrongfully quoted a customer shipping charges. Cost my employer about 1500
total. Can they legally take it out of my check?

Asked on February 18, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

They cannot take it out of your paycheck unless you consent or agree to let them do this.
However, they can:
1) Sue you for the money if they want; if they can prove in court that you caused them the loss due to your negligence or carelessness, they can get a court judgment requiring you to pay.
2) Terminate you--unless you have a written employment contract preventing them from firing you for this reason, they can terminte you for making a mistake and costing them money--especially if you refuse to pay for what you cost them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption