Can employer deny a prior employee a copy of their recently signed severance agreement?

UPDATED: Sep 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can employer deny a prior employee a copy of their recently signed severance agreement?

They tell me I am never eligible to return there after signing.

Asked on September 2, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

1) There is no obligation on the part of one party to a contract to give a copy of the agreement to the other; the second party could certainly refuse to sign unless they get a copy, but once they sign, they lack leverage. If there is a dispute and a legal action is brought to enforce, define, repudiate, etc. the agreement, then there are legal tools (called "discovery") available to get a copy of the agreeement--but those tools are not available outside of litigation.

2) A company is completely within its right to decline to re-employ, rehire, etc. a terminated or former employee, so they company may choose to never let you return after signing the separatio agreement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption