What to do if a satellite TV company is billing me now for movies they claim I rented back years ago but never billed me for?

UPDATED: Feb 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 22, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a satellite TV company is billing me now for movies they claim I rented back years ago but never billed me for?

They detected these movies on a returned cable box card that I returned to them upon cancellation. I do not recognize these movies nor did I ever rent pay-per-view movies the fifteen years I was with them. Does the statue of limitations apply? Bills were for rentals from 5-10 years ago.

Asked on February 22, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

From what you write, it may be too late for the TV company to bill you for these rentals. The statute of limitations applies to all debts; the relevant statute of limitations for this debt is most likely the statute of limitations for written contracts, which is four years. (The statute  of limitions for open accounts is also four years, so it would yield the same answer.) Any debt over four years old would therefore be too old for the company to take legal action to enforce. It may *ask* for the money, but seem to have no mechanism to make you pay.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption