Can continuedhealth insurance premiumsbe included in alimony payments?

UPDATED: Feb 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can continuedhealth insurance premiumsbe included in alimony payments?

I have been married for 21 years and I want a divorce. I am concerned about healthcare. I recently found out that the company my spouse works for will contact me about continued healthcare. Could I have that cost included in the alimony? I have been a homemaker for the entire marriage.

Asked on February 10, 2012 under Family Law, Connecticut


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You were in a long term marriage; therefore, some options would be available to you that would not be available to others. You need to contact an attorney and immediately discuss the things and benefits to which you were accustomed while married. If you were a homemaker, you need to ask for alimony, child support if applicable, health care and dental care premiums or stay on his insurance, and other benefits like a portion of his retirement benefits and the like.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption