Can companies deduct pregnancy vacation time from earned bonuses?

UPDATED: Jul 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 23, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can companies deduct pregnancy vacation time from earned bonuses?

The company does not supply a pregnancy leave. Vacation time was taken for pregnancy leave. Also, employees have to repeatedly ask for the bonus they earn. My daughter earned $1200 bonus. She is told pregnant leave will be deducted.

Asked on July 23, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Unless there is an employee employer handbook in place dated and signed by your daughter or some document signed by her, her employer cannot legally debit the "pregnancy time" payment that she received from her $1,200 bonus that was earned. 

If earned vacation time was taken for the "pregnancy time" then all the more reason why such time cannot be debited legally from your daughter's earned bonus.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption