Can California law be manipulated to allow a adoption of a child against the fathers wishes.

UPDATED: May 29, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 29, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can California law be manipulated to allow a adoption of a child against the fathers wishes.

My son is on active duty(Germany) the mother lives in California, she wants my son to give up his rights to his daughter 3yr Angelica & let her boyfriend adopt her. He loves his daughter & have been financially responsible with support. There is no way the can manipulate the law to allow this adoption against my sons will. The child was born out of wedlock.Please he is only a E3 in Germany & is at her mercy she has denied his rights by court order/ He is tormented, please just ease our mind in this matter…

Asked on May 29, 2009 under Family Law, Texas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

He needs to talk to his lawyer in Germany -- military law with respect to children born out of wedlock may trump certain civil law.  In terms of what can be done, I am not sure.   What do you mean she has denied his rights by court order? Did he give her temporary custody or something while stationed in Germany? Where is his child's mother? Why isn't she with the mother?

There are a lot of unanswered questions.  In terms of he has visitation rights (did mom have court order her custody based on underlying issues and he is allowed visitation or something?), if she is in contempt, he can take her to court via his attorney.

In terms of grandparent rights in general -- usually they don't have rights - unless the court awards them custody.  So, your son's best bet-- get a lawyer.   In California, try and then check his or her disciplinary record at under attorney search.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption