Can a bank force me to sign a quit claim deed?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a bank force me to sign a quit claim deed?

My house has been foreclosed but now bank says there was a mistake 13 years ago when home was purchased. Saying I did not sign original paperwork. My soon-to-be ex-husband is the only signature on the mortgage. The bank is now trying to get me to sign so they can sell the property. The mortgage has never been on my credit. I mostly am just nervous that I might sign something that might make me responsible. It was agreed 13 years ago I was only suppose to be on title not mortgage.

Asked on September 19, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Don't sign it. That they made a mistake is their problem, not yours: the fact that they did not make sure that you signed as well and that they loaned the money without your signature doesn't force you to sign now or give you up your rights to or interest in the home. They are offering you money precisely because they need you to agree to do this--they can't compel it. You have leverage: you can hold out for more, because it will costly to them and delay matters to try to go to court and get a court order for the sale--and even if they do, you may be awarded compensation for your interest in the home (e.g. a share of any proceeds left after paying off the mortgage with the money from the sale). Let them make it worthwhile for you to sign.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption