Can an old felony charge be erased or reduced to a mistermeanor?

UPDATED: Apr 7, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 7, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an old felony charge be erased or reduced to a mistermeanor?

Asked on April 7, 2013 under Criminal Law, Missouri


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

In some states felonies can be reduced to misdemeanors after the fact. If yours can be, then you may have a chance for "expungement" of your record (and in some states even felonies can be cleared). Essentially, this means that your RAP sheet will be cleaned so it will be as though you were never convicted.

To start the process, you need to check on your specific state law; google your state name and the the word expungment. You should find most of the information you need on-line. If not, or if you feel that you want a lawyer to handle this for you, then you should consult with a criminal law attorney in the area of where the conviction occurred. They will be in the best position to advise you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption