Can an old employer tell another employer that their new employee they are not welcome in their facility?

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2017Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an old employer tell another employer that their new employee they are not welcome in their facility?

I was let go for the reason that I could not get along with my supervisor not for performance. Can she call my new employer and say that I ‘m not welcome in any of there facilities?

Asked on August 23, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Nebraska


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If what your former employer said was not true (i.e. they made false factual assertions about you to your current company and these allegations damaged your reputation and caused  your new employer to not want to do business with you), then you may have a claim for defamation. However, if they either stated opinions (not facts) or made true factual statements, you would not have a cause of action. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption