Can an officer let me go and then 3 months later write me a ticket?

UPDATED: Jan 30, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an officer let me go and then 3 months later write me a ticket?

I’m 16 and was caught in a car with 2 other people.Officer searched car and found marijuana in a pouch behind seat.The driver was arrested he was 17. The officer searched me and because he found nothing so he took me home. He talked to my parents and told the I had no punishments or consequences and that he was taking me home as a courtesy. Then 3 months later the come to my school and give me a ticket for **** paraphernalia. I refused to sign. I pleaded not guilty and jury trial to court. I have to submit pre-trial motions soon.

Asked on January 30, 2012 under Criminal Law, Texas


Scott Whitbeck / The Whitbeck Law Office

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

What is your question?

You have to submit pretrial motions? Why dont you have a lawyer? Do you plan to prepare your own motions and conduct your own trial? If so, thats a bad idea. You need a lawyer. An experienced lawyer may be able to have this case dismissed without a trial, or at the very least get a good disposition you can live with.  If you handle this matter yourself you face a very real risk being convicted of the charge.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption