Can an insurance company suspend your license?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an insurance company suspend your license?

I missed my insurance payment and someone
hit my car as I was coming out of parking in
front of my house. We called the police and he
said the damages were not enough to write a
report. Months later the insurance of the other
person involved in the accident calls me and
says Im responsible for the damages, over
1,000 and if I dont pay they will suspend my

Asked on May 23, 2019 under Accident Law, Virginia


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

The insurance company cannot suspend your license. It can report that you were uninsured to the Department of Motor Vehicles which can suspend your license. 
As for the at-fault party's insurance company denying your claim, your recourse is to sue the at-fault party in small claims court for negligence for the property damage (cost of repairs) to your car. Upon prevailing in the case, you can recover court costs which include the court filing fee and process server fee. A monetary judgment can be enforced with a wage garnishment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption