Can an insurance co.Get someone’s license suspended?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an insurance co.Get someone’s license suspended?

I was hit backing up in a
parking lot,there was no visual either car,we
exchanged info anyway. Now 5
mo.later I’m getting calls from
a company named NCR claiming
that I was responsible for
paying 2400 to them on behalf
of the claimants insurance co.
Or they would garnish and I
would be suspended. Can they do
that? The police weren’t
involved. Please advise. K

Asked on March 30, 2017 under Accident Law, Washington


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

An action to suspend a person's license is a criminal matter, so it will have to be pursued by the jurisdiction where the accident occurred. In some areas driving without insurance can result in an automatic suspension of your license, however this would mosyt likely have occurred already. Yet, even though your license hasn't been suspended yet, a failure to pay the amount that the insurance company says that you owe will most probably result in the suspension of your driving privileges. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption