Can an inmate who is up for Parolein Alabama speak for himself to the Parole board?

UPDATED: Jun 14, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 14, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an inmate who is up for Parolein Alabama speak for himself to the Parole board?

A friend was wrongfully accused of a crime(robbery) He was told he could not speak to the parole board that his lawery must speak on his behalf. He has currently served 12 years and was giving life with parole.

Asked on June 14, 2009 under Criminal Law, Texas


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

When you have a lawyer, the rule is that the lawyer represents you and speaks on your behalf.  That way there is no confusion as to who can bind decisions and make representations.  If your friend has a lawyer, but rather speak to the parole board on his own behalf, then have him fire his lawyer.  The other way to do it is to have the lawyer talk to the parole board and tell the board that his client (your friend) wants to address the board personally.  As a lawyer, i woudl not mind letting my client speak, especially in this situation where he is asking the board to let him go back into society.  this way the board can judge him.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption