Can an HOA sue me for unpaid dues a year after the home was foreclosed on?

UPDATED: Jun 16, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 16, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an HOA sue me for unpaid dues a year after the home was foreclosed on?

I was told that as long as I owned the home, I can be sued by the HOA for unpaid dues, but once it has been sold or foreclosed, they can no longer come after me for those costs. The home foreclosed last year, and I had not heard from the HOA in well over 10 months prior to foreclosure. I had filed for Chapter 7 a year ago and after that I received a notice that I’m being sued for unpaid dues on a home that I am no longer attached to. I did not list the HOA entity as a creditor on my bankruptcy because I thought they disappeared with the foreclosure.

Asked on June 16, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, you were told wrong. What happens to an asset (like a home) after you have already incurred some debt or obligation in regards to it has no bearing on whether or not you are liable for that debt. If you owed money for unpaid dues, the home owner's association can sue you for it, regardless of whether you still live there, sold the house, lost the house to foreclosure, etc. It is true that the HOA is deprived of one of its most powerful tools--if not THE most powerful tool--to be paid: it can no longer itself foreclose on you. However, that still allows it to sue you, the same way anyone to whom you owe money can sue you. So yes...even if you've been foreclosed on, the HOA can pursue a debt, it just has fewer ways to collect.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption