Can an executor’s POA handle will processing if executor has dementia

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an executor’s POA handle will processing if executor has dementia

Mom left everything to husband who has dementia. Husband has daughter with financial POA. In Illinois, can the daughter perform the executor’s duties or does the secondary executor take over?

Asked on March 24, 2019 under Estate Planning, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, the daughtd cannot perform the executor's duties. She may have have a POA to handle her father's personal affairs, but that POA does not override your mother's right to designate her executor(s) in her will, since the POA is not from your mother. It also does not give her any rights beyond functioning as her father's agent--and this is NOT functioning as his agent,t since your mother's estate is not her husband's personal financial affairs. If your mother's husband cannot function as her executor, then her secondary executor--the person she designated for this role--takes over.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption