Can an employer withold paycheck as well as accrued vacation pay with a termination for cause?

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an employer withold paycheck as well as accrued vacation pay with a termination for cause?

Worked for survey co & the letter stated primary reasons: 1- theft & diversion of survey orders placed over co. website (these were MY clients from previous employer I brought and was NOT sent to co. website was sent to MY PERSONAL EMAIL) 2- usage of co. time & systems to process, draft, invoice and email surveys. (was done on lunch and break time and after work). There were adequet orders from these clients given to the co. to cover my wages.

Asked on July 6, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You can't use your employer's computers (or office supplies, or whatever) to operate your own business, at all, period.  No matter what the rest of the situation is, I'd suggest walking away and hoping this is the end of it.  If you want detailed advice, you should have a local attorney review all of the facts.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption