Can an employer stop a 2 week paycheck because I give them a 2 week notice?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an employer stop a 2 week paycheck because I give them a 2 week notice?

I worked 2 weeks and I am due a paycheck for those weeks. I put in my 2 weeks notice and now they don’t want to pay me for the prior weeks. Is this legal?

Asked on July 7, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Maryland


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

An employee must be paid for all hours worked. This is true whether or not they subsequently submit their 2 weeks notice. That's the law. If a worker does not receive their final paycheck in a timely manner (in MD that's no later than the next regularly scheduled pay date), then they can sue their employer in small claims court and/or file a wage claim with their state's department of labor. That having been said, if you were not permitted to work the last 2 weeks that you gave notice for so these weeks were not yet actually worked, that is legal and no pay for that time is due you. The fact is that an employer need not honor such a notice; an employee can be laid off the day that it is given (absent an empoyment contract or union agreement to the contrary).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption