Can an employer require me to use my personal truck to hall their product to a job site without any monetary compensation?

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an employer require me to use my personal truck to hall their product to a job site without any monetary compensation?

Asked on August 22, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

  If you are really upset about this, I would suggest going to the local labor commissioner.  That said:

  1. Once you file a complaint, you will probably be fired;
  2. What are trucks for if not to haul stuff to work sites?;
  3. Unreimbursed employment related expenses are a tax-write off;
  4. The IRS deduction is probably better than any reimbursement your employer will offer at this point.

I know that's not really all that sympathetic, but considering 10% unemployment, a total collapse of the construction industry, and somewhat lax labor rules in this area....I think you are being a bit litigious. 

Suck it up. 

Write it off on your taxes.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption