Can an employer obtain a copy of a police report if an employee was mugged and sexually assaulted so missied work direct?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an employer obtain a copy of a police report if an employee was mugged and sexually assaulted so missied work direct?

My spouse was mugged and sexually assaulted. She informed her employer of such and advised that she would be working at home to recover. Her higher manager approved. Can an employer request a copy of the police report from police or ask her to provide it to prove incident occurred?

Asked on January 30, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes to both questions.
1) They can certainly ask her to provide proof of the assault, since there is no right to work at home and employers have the power to determine where an employee will work; thus, she has to satisfy them that they should let her work at home, and so they can ask her for the report. (They could also simply say "no" to her request, since again, there is no right to work at home.)
2) Any person, including a business, may make an OPRA (open public records act) request for police or incident reports; the report does not have to be one they made or which directly involved them. It is possible that due to the nature (sexual assault) that the report might not be provided or might at least be redacted, but there is no blanket restriction on them putting the request in.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption