Can an employer not pay travel bonus promised?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an employer not pay travel bonus promised?

My son works for a company in Florida that works in different states. When he
has to travel, they pay him 2.00 more an hour. Recently He worked in Alabama,
they told him they would come back on Friday. They worked all of Friday then
told him they were not coming back until Sunday. He had plans for the week end
which He told them, they did not respond, He called a friend and had the friend
come pick him up. When they paid him, they did not give him the 2.00 extra for
working out of town. Is this legal?

Asked on July 26, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If it had been promised before the trip, then they have to pay it: they and the employee effectively entered into an agreement or contract under which he agreed to go on the trip (i.e. to go on the trip rather than, say, quit or resign) and they agreed to pay him an extra $2.00/hour for doing so. If they will not pay, he could sue his employer for the extra money; the problem is, a lawsuit is the only way to get the money, so he has to decide if suing his employer is worthwhile or not.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption