Can an employer make me pay cash for an accident

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an employer make me pay cash for an accident

While working got a ticket
for improper lane change
caused slight damage to
both vehicles mine driver’s
door n other vechicle black
mark on left side if hood n
plastic cracked on hood

Asked on December 14, 2017 under Accident Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Did you cause damage to the employer's car, or otherwise cause them to incur costs, fees, or fines? If you did, and you were at fault (as you indicate you were), you are liable (responsible to pay) for the damage or costs. Anyone who is at fault in costing another money in an accident has to pay for it. They cannot take the money out of your check unless you agree to let them; however, if you and they don't work it out (e.g. you don't agree to $50/check), they could:
1) Terminate you, unless you have a written employment contract preventing them from doing so;
2) Do anything short of termination to punish you for costing them money, like suspend you, demote you, cut your hours or pay, etc.
3) Sue you for the money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption