can an employer lower my wage if i am unable to perform my original job due to an industrial accident

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can an employer lower my wage if i am unable to perform my original job due to an industrial accident

I work for an HVAC company as an installer at 16.00 per hour I had an accident where I was hit in the head and sustained a concussion and have not been able to perform installations due to my restrictions from the Dr my employer changed my pay to 10.00 an hour is this legal

Asked on November 22, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, it is legal; in fact, they could have terminated you entirely if you cannot do your job. While employers have to make "reasonable accommodations" to employee disability, the employee must still be able to do his job; employers do not have to retain or employees who cannot work. An installer who cannot install could be terminated; since they could terminate you, they could instead reduce your pay.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption