Can an employer legally repeat your request for a salary increase to other employees in a meeting?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an employer legally repeat your request for a salary increase to other employees in a meeting?

My husband discussed a salary increase request with a hospital administrator
in a cordial meeting. The request was not met. My husband is taking
another job out of state and when the administration held a meeting to let
the hospital staff know they said that my husband had asked for 3 times his
salary and that was why he was leaving This fact is not only not true, but it
is nobody’s business. What recourse do we have?

Asked on March 20, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, South Dakota


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You have no recourse here. For one thing, there is no expectation of privacy regarding a salary request (absent an employment contract or union agreement to the contrary). Further, even if what was repeated was not true, your husband would have to prove that he was injured by this statement (at least you gave no indication of this). Accordingly, he has no claim here.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption