Can an employer in FL not pay me for under 15 minutes of OT?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an employer in FL not pay me for under 15 minutes of OT?

Can an employer in FL not pay me for overtime accrued on a daily basis if it is
under 15 minutes or whatever random number they pulled out of a hat? Sometimes
my job requires me to stay late, anywhere from 1 minute to several minutes or
more. My employer has started rounding our time. If my shift ends at 330pm but I
clocked out at 340pm, they round it back down to 330 and do not pay me for it.
If I end up working up to 14 minutes a day OT and not getting paid that builds up
because it is 70 minutes of OT I can possibly not be paid in a standard 40 hour
work week.

Asked on January 7, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, it is not legal to "round" your time: all your work time must be accurately tracked, accounted for, and paid--including overtime (when you work more than 40 hrs in a workweek).
That said, it is likely the case that running over by 1 - 3 minutes, they would not be held accountable for: there is a concept that a "de minimis" error is inconsequential. So say you clocked out, then remembered you had to run back in and quickly log in a receipt or invoice or bill of lading, etc. which took you two minutes, and that this happens 1 - 3 times/month--there'd be no point in seeking compensation for 6 minutes of time monthly.
But if they reguarly or commonly keep you over by say 5 minutes or more, so that, as you correctly point out, it can build up an hour or more of time, then yes--they need to track and pay it, and if they don't, you could file a complaint with the department of labor for unpaid wages/overtime.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption