Can an employer in charge for a bounced check?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an employer in charge for a bounced check?

I live in North Carolina, working for a
privately owned gas station. I was never
give company guidelines, and was not
told until I received my first bounced
check that I would have to pay it. We
have a list of people who we cannot take
a check from, but this customers name is
not written on the list. Is my employer
allowed to demand payment with the
bounced check fee that comes from the
bank? Also they charge us for shortages
with lottery as well, not sure if they
are allowed to do this. Our main office
is in murphy, North Carolina and i work
in hayesville, north carolina.

Asked on August 1, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

1) Money cannot be taken from your paycheck without your consent or agreement. If the employer does, you could file a complaint with the state department of labor or sue (e.g. in small claims court) for the money.
2) If you don't agree to repay an amount the employer things you owe, the employer could sue you for the money. But to win it, the employer would have to prove in court that you'd been at fault in causing the loss, such as by being unreasonably careless (negligent).
3) Bear in mind that if you don't have a written employment contract protecting your job, you could, however, be fired if the employer thinks you cost them money (even if they are wrong) but will not repay it, since without a contract, you are an "employee at will."

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption