Can an employer fine employees for not getting there paperwork/expenses done within a certain time period

UPDATED: Jan 19, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 19, 2018Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an employer fine employees for not getting there paperwork/expenses done within a certain time period

If any expense goes over five days old, they
withhold that money from your check and fine
25 fir each one, which they don’t refund after
expenses are completes

Asked on January 19, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

They can do this IF they give you prior warning of the policy, which they apparently have done, before imposing the fine or the delay in payment. If you continue working there after having notice of the policy, you can be considered to have agreed to it (since if you refused to work under those conditions, you could have quit and sought other employment). Your agreement would make this legal, because employee pay may be debited with employee consent or agreement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption