Can an architect quit a project for non-payment?

UPDATED: Feb 3, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 3, 2018Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an architect quit a project for non-payment?

Client did not pay last invoice from September. On January 4, Client did construction loan that required my signature agreeing,

Asked on February 3, 2018 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you may: the law does not require you to work for free and does not require you to work when the client is in breach of their agreement or contract by not paying. A good idea is to first sent a demand letter and give them in the letter some short but reasonable time (e.g. 5-10 business days) to pay their bills, on pain of you terminating your work for nonpayment; then if they don't pay, stop working. Send the letter some way or ways you can prove delivery (e.g. by certified priority mail or fed ex and also by fax or email).
Bear in mind that separate from whether you can stop working, if they default on the loan and the lender becomes aware that you concealed (even if only carelessly and not delibrerately) the client's default from them and therefore gave a false statement to help the client get the loan, the lender could sue you for compensation as well as going after the client.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption