Can an apartment complex enforce a curfew for children?

UPDATED: May 27, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 27, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an apartment complex enforce a curfew for children?

Recently, my apartment complex circulated a newsletter which included a “reminder” that the complex enforces an 8:00 pm total curfew for residents under 18. This “reminder” was news to my neighbors and me. There is nothing in my lease concerning a curfew. I realize that under MI law, landlords may make new rules to ensure safety and the reasonable enjoyment of the property. My complex is quite quiet. That’s one reason why, as a police officer, I moved my children here. But is a total 8:00 curfew reasonable, especially in the summer? What recourse do I have?

Asked on May 27, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Well, you can challenge the curfew.  First, I would absolutely send your landlord a letter by certified mail (and the same by regular mail with certificate of mailing) asking where this "rule" is written.  Advise your landlord that you have read your lease with a fine tooth comb and that this provision is not included in your lease and was not the basis of the bargain in your renting the apartment in the first place.  Advise him that there is no attachment or rider to the lease that indicates this "rule" either nor is it posted in a conspicuous place ANYWHERE in the complex.  See what happens.  Then seek some legal help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption