Can an adult the age of 21 get into legal trouble for dating a 16 year old if that minor has permission from her legal guardian?

UPDATED: Dec 1, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 1, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an adult the age of 21 get into legal trouble for dating a 16 year old if that minor has permission from her legal guardian?

My daughter is 16 years old. Her boyfriend is 21. I have full custody as her mother. Her father is threatening to get this young man into legal trouble, and also get him into trouble with the U.S. Navy, as he is a nuclear electrician for the navy. is there any trouble he could get into with the navy or the law if her father decides to try something to force this legally and or with the navy?

Asked on December 1, 2011 under Criminal Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Good question. As you are probably aware there are laws in every state in this country prohibiting intimate relations between an adult and a minor. In your situation, you are writing about a 16 year old and a 21 year old man.

If they are solely dating and not "intimate" then there is technically nothing illegal but then you get into the definition of "intimacy". There is a big difference between a 21 year old and a 16 year old at each of their stages in life at this time. Permission from the leagl guardian for the dating is helpful. However if a complaint is made to law enforcement by someone over the situation and gets forwarded to the district attorney's office, who knows if criminal charges will be filed against the 21 year old adult.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption