Can a Writ of Execution from one state be used to place a levy on a bank account established another state?

UPDATED: Apr 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a Writ of Execution from one state be used to place a levy on a bank account established another state?

A writ of execution from a county superior court was issued to a woman to place a levy on her bank account; all from another state. The woman has the same name as my wife (who resides in our state) and the bank incorrectly placed a levy on my wife’s account (which was established in here). Ignoring the fact that the SSN from the Writ didn’t match my wife’s SSN, did the bank have a legal right to place a levy on an account that wasn’t in the county where the Writ was executed?

Asked on April 12, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

A writ of execution in one state cannot be used to place a levy on a bank accountestablished in another state. Rather, what needs to first be done with respect to a levy from an out of state judgment is to file an application for a sister state judgment in the state where the judgment debtor has assets. Once a sister state judgment is approved in the county and state where the judgment debtor has assets, then the judgment creditor then goes through the process of getting a writ of execution issued, a notice of levy and start the levy process.

From what you have written, it is hard to determine if the levy procedurally was defective. However, factually it was defective in that your wife was not the judgment debtor. If her assets were levied upon for a judgment not against her, I suggest that she consult with an attorney that practices in the area of consumer debt law.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption