Can a woman change her name from maiden to married name in a divorce?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a woman change her name from maiden to married name in a divorce?

My fiancee is divorcing his wife and he
has one more date for the finalization
of the divorce. She kept her maiden name
during the entirety of the marriage 9
years and now wants to take his last
name out of spite toward he and i.
Neither one of us want that to happen.
She has already signed the judgement of
divorce with her legal maiden name. Does
she have the right to take his last name
if she never did?

Asked on January 18, 2018 under Family Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Any adult can change his or her name to anything he or she wants at any time--a name change does not need to be linked to marriage or divorce (though obviously, it is often is). She may change her name to his if she wants.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption