Can a water and sewer company disconnect water service and impose reconnection fees for a delinquent $15 sewer bill?

UPDATED: Aug 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a water and sewer company disconnect water service and impose reconnection fees for a delinquent $15 sewer bill?

I had received a shut-off notice and in bold print was the amount due. I paid this to the utility and thought no more of it. Service was disconnected anyway because of a $15 delinquent amount that had been turned over to a collection agency. There’s a $50 reconnection fee and the collection agency would only accept cash or money order so I lost a half days pay going there. Is this legal?

Asked on August 4, 2011 Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Read all bills and agreements that you have with your water and sewer company. Most likely there is language in these documents discussing fees, penalties and reconnection costs if service is disconnected.

I have seen language regarding these fees in the past on utility bills. If there is language on documents you have received from your water and sewer company about the fees that you are unhappy about, the fees to reconnect services due to a shut off of services can be charged to you and the charge would appear to be a valid and enforceable.

Unfortunately, you most likely have no other water and sewer company to use other than the one who shut off your services.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption