Can a warrant be quashed from a county other than the onethe warrantwas issued in?

UPDATED: Oct 10, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 10, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a warrant be quashed from a county other than the onethe warrantwas issued in?

I live 300 miles from the county where bench warrant was issued. Can I take care of it at my county’s courthouse?

Asked on October 10, 2010 under Criminal Law, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

No, you can not.  You need to appear before the Judge that issued the warrant.  He or she has "jurisdiction" in the underlying case.  The best thing for you to do being that you are so far away is to hire an attorney that practices in the county in which the warrant was issued to file a Motion to Quash the Warrant.  Although it still may be a possibility that the Judge will require you to appear personally, it is not a high probability that that will happen.  If you can not hire an attorney then you will need to appear personally, probably post bond and then set a hearing date.  But you have to take care of it one way or another.  So good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption