Can a vehicle owner who let an unlicensed driver drive her vehicle sue you after an accident?

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a vehicle owner who let an unlicensed driver drive her vehicle sue you after an accident?

I got into an accident with another vehicle (my fault). The owner of the vehicle had insurance but she let her friend drive the car who after the police arrived was found to have had her license taken away by DMV. The whole accident was reported and my insurance fixed their car. Now I just got a letter saying that a lawsuit has opened up against me and I should be expecting to get served the notice in the next few days.

Asked on September 15, 2012 under Accident Law, California


Leigh Anne Timiney / Timiney Law Firm

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Yes, if you were at fault for the accident, you can be sued.  It does not matter who was driving the other vehicle that was involved in the crash.  If the property damage to the other vehicle has already been resolved, I assume you are being sued for personal injuries which were suffered by the occupants of the other vehicle as a result of this accident.  If you are served with a formal lawsuit, turn it over to your automobile insurance carrier.  They should provide you with an attorney to handle this matter for you.  Good luck to you.   

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption