Can a utility company just put my name on my deceased mother’s account if I had no connection to her accounts or house?

UPDATED: Mar 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a utility company just put my name on my deceased mother’s account if I had no connection to her accounts or house?

My mother pasted away. She had no estate or Will. Her house was in a reverse mortgage with no connection to me. I passed the house back to the back via formal notification. Now the local gas company has put my name on her account and sent to collections for about $500.Can they just move that debt to my name without notifying me and getting my consent?

Asked on March 20, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Missouri


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

An utility company can place your name on your deceased mother's account without advising you of such and without your permission. however, such placement with respect to the facts that you have written places no legal obligation for you to pay the $500 bill.

I suggest that you have a meeting with the utility company's representative face to face and then follow up with a letter expressing your displeasure as to the situation and the lack of enforcement as to you. You might also want to make a formal complaint with your state's department of utilities about what happened. This entity investigates consumer complaints regarding utility companies.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption