Can a university not pay for teaching students who later drop out?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a university not pay for teaching students who later drop out?

The online university where I teach pays by the student; full-time instructors have yearly quotas and part-time instructors are paid a dollar amount per student taught. The university, however, only pays for those students who remain enrolled for at least 60% of the course. Any students who drop at the 50% mark are not counted in our quotas or paid for when part-time wages are calculated. Our time teaching those students, who quit for a variety of reasons, is completely uncompensated. Is this legal?

Asked on August 13, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, West Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

It is legal as long as 1) you are aware of that rule or condition, so you could be said or considered to have agree to it by working there with knowledge of the rule; and 2) you still end up getting at least the equivalent of minimum wage. Employer's can pay you based on students taught (or projects completed, customers serviced, etc.) and can have a rule that you are only paid if they compete a minimum amount or portion of the class.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption