Can a UIM claim be brought against your company if you were the driver of a golf cart on the road in a housing development who was hit by an automobile?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a UIM claim be brought against your company if you were the driver of a golf cart on the road in a housing development who was hit by an automobile?

My friend was driving his golf cart on a road in his housing development and was struck by the operator of an automobile exiting the driveway of her house. He was completely ejected from the golf cart and sustained very serious injuries. He spent 3 days in the hospital and is now in rehab. This accident occurred in Florida. The driver of the auto only carries minimum coverage. Is he able to bring an underinsured motorist claim against his own insurance company since he was operating a golf cart and not an automobile?

Asked on May 23, 2019 under Accident Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Most likely a UIM claim cannot be brought in this case: while your friend should check the precise wording of his policy (an insurance policy is a contract, and like any contract, is enforced according to its plain wording), as a general matter, a golf cart, as a vehicle designe for operation on a golf course, would not meet the statutory definition in your state of a "motor vehicle," which is something designed to be operated on the road. Since UIM policies generally cover only motor vehicles, if that's what your friend's policy cover's, a golf cart or golf cart accident would not fall under it.
Here is a link to your state's law on what qualifies as a motor vehicle. Take a look at the beginning and at paragraph (22):

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption