Can a spouse here in the US on a spousal visa have a secondary home in another country while she is awaiting permanent residency in the US?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a spouse here in the US on a spousal visa have a secondary home in another country while she is awaiting permanent residency in the US?

My wife is here in the US on a spouse visa since June 18, 2015. She has not began the legal permanent resident LPR process with the USCIS yet. I am a US citizen. We both want to have the freedom to live in another country AND the US even while awaiting for her US citizenship. Are there any exemptions to the ‘physical presence’ requirement of the immigration laws such as Volume 12 Citizenship Naturalization, Part D General Naturalization Requirements – Chapter 5 Modifications and Exceptions to Continuous Residence and Physical Presence?

Asked on October 20, 2016 under Immigration Law, Georgia


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Physical presence in the US and having a residence in another country are not really related.  ONe needs to have physical presence (certain amount of time spent in the US) in order to be eligible for naturalization but that in itself does not mean anything about whether the person has or does not have a residence abroad.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption