Can a sheriff give me a citation at my home?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a sheriff give me a citation at my home?

I was driving home from the cities and took 218 home. Once I arrived home 10 minutes later sheriff was knocking at my door asking who was driving my 2018 Honda Accord Sport. I explained I was and asked why he stated his partner was had been following me since I got on 218 from Owatonna and his radar gun clocked me over the speed limit. I denied speeding and asked why he didn’t pull me over on 218. He told me his partner was unable to pull me over because he had someone in his backset that he needed to take to jail. Legally can he give me a ticket? I have a fine of 145. Should I take this to court?

Asked on July 22, 2019 under General Practice, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, they can legally give you a ticket: there is no law, rule of court, etc. stating that you must be pulled over while driving to be ticketed, or barring you from receiving a ticket at home. (They even could have mailed it to you, instead of hand delivering it.)
For $145, I'd recommend paying, unless it's worth 2 - 4 hours of you time to go to court and try to negotiate it for the chance (not guaranty) of knocking $30 - $60 off the total.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption